Friday, August 19, 2011

Kale Smoothies.....

......I know I probably just lost a few of you with the title. Hang tight, they are so much better than they sound! Greens are the number one most missing item from the American diet. They have so many health benefits! They are very high in calcium, magnesium, iron, potassium, phosphorus, zinc and vitamins A, C, E and K. As if that isn't enough, they are crammed with fiber, folic acid, chlorophyll and many other micronutrients and phytochemicals. Any way you can sneak them in is a bonus!
Kale smoothie:

1 cup milk (I use almond milk, but you could use any kind)
3-4 frozen strawberries
1/2 banana
1 handful kale (trim the curly part off of the tough stem)
1 TBS ground flax seed
1/2 c ice


Place everything in the blender and blend until smooth.
I promise it doesn't taste like grass clippings....my 3 year old son asks for these daily!

*You can add kale to any fruit smoothie of choice!


3 comments:

  1. Mmmm - my favorite!! Still want to try it with almond milk (I usually use water)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! My kids are big fans too. Lately we've been making them with cucumber and frozen blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i try to have a kale smoothie every day. I vary what I put in but usually a TBSP of almond butter, half a banana, and an orange with kale, bee pollen and some flax seed oil. Always about 6 oz of water. SOmedays I add pineapple or apple, cucumber, frozen berries or peaches or mango. It starts my day off on the right foot!

    ReplyDelete