Thursday, July 14, 2011

Caprese Grilled Panini plus extras

I had to add this in after the post on freezing lemon juice. I bought a watermelon last week, and as much as we ate it, we still couldn't eat it fast enough before it started getting mushy. I decided I would try freezing it. I put the cubes of seedless watermelon in my blender and then poured the juice in ice cube trays. I now have healthy, frozen treats on hand for the kids!

I tried a new recipe for kale this week. http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/2862
I think I needed to wilt the kale a little longer, but overall it was pretty good.


I saved the best for last! I went to Whole Foods Market yesterday and found some fresh ciabatta bread. I have to admit it is not the healthiest choice in bread but it was the perfect thing for this caprese grilled panini. I don't have a panini press so I had to improvise. I heated up my beloved cast iron grill pan from Crate and Barrel. The sandwich was so easy to make and SO delicious! I cut the bread in sandwich size portions and then sliced them in half. I layered them with mozzarella cheese, sliced tomato and tons of fresh basil from my friend's garden (thanks Shelley!). I brushed the bread with some EVOO and placed it on the hot grill pan with a lid from a pot onto the top to help keep in the heat. When the bread was nice and toasty, I flipped it over. While it was cooking, I made some Balsamic Vinaigrette. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/simple-balsamic-vinaigrette-recipe/index.html  My husband is one of those people that loves to dip his food in sauces. This recipe was the perfect compliment to the sandwich. A definite do over!

No comments:

Post a Comment